We read the headlines every day and we wonder what else can go wrong. Here’s just a sampling:
- Healthcare.gov: Staff Warned in July That Website Was Failing
- Electronic Health Records – EHRs: New Patient Safety Risks Associated With Growing EHR Adoption
- Health Information Exchanges – HIEs: HIEs Seeking Answers to Sustainability
- Patient Engagement: Hospitals Grapple with Patient Engagement
Finding articles about the challenges, missteps, or failures of health information technology (health IT) is easy. Through it all, humans are still involved and, with us, imperfection still happens. The key to remember, though, is progress is happening in many places with many, many people doing amazing work. Instead of a tech surge, I think we should step back this week and give a little thanks for the industry’s advancements!
Gratitude is a Mindset.
There are two sides to gratitude. First, gratitude is acknowledging what is good. There are good things happening in health care workplaces around the world, and we need to identify it. Second, gratitude is understanding where goodness comes from. We need to raise our awareness of where the good works are coming from. Many talented people are working diligently to deliver their best work possible.
As leaders, we need to raise our gratitude game. We need to recognize the good things happening in health IT – encourage others and gain momentum in the progress being achieved. The goal is balance. We know there are failures and barriers but we also know there are successes and possibilities. We learn from both and we continue to advance forward.
This is a call to action, a call to express gratitude. During the next 10+ days, let’s express our gratitude for the good happening and where it is happening. Through Twitter, tweet your HIT gratitude, using the hashtag #HITThanks. Here are some suggestions:
- Just tweet: Keep it simple and just tweet your gratitude for the good HIT works using #HITThanks in your tweet.
- Tweet a graphic: Write your gratitude using a quote tool like Quozio and tweet it out.
- Tweet a Vine: Create a 6 second video of your health IT gratitude and tweet it out.
However you want to express your #HITThanks, just do it and tweet it out. Gratitude can come from all areas – HIEs, EHRs, patient engagement, telehealth, health social media, etc. You know where the good things are happening so just express it.
Let’s spend some time voicing our gratitude for the progress being made through the adoption of health IT and the hard work of many professionals.
Join the #HITThanks gratitude campaign!
What are you grateful for in HIT? Tweet it out and tag it with #HITThanks!
Latest posts by Jon Mertz (see all)
- Giving #HITthanks. Share Your Health IT Gratitude! - November 24, 2014
- Patient Design Thinking: What Does It Take? - August 6, 2014
- What is Health IT Literacy? - July 23, 2014